Thread: New owner
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
PopBeavers

The rear bed is subject to cold drafts. Get a pair of swimming pool noodles about 4 feet long and cut to length with a steak knife. When the TM is open, if you look underneath the bed from outside there is a space just wide enough along both sides to wedge the noodle into. This will block a lot of the draft.

I also had a problem with a draft coming in between the rear upper shell and the lower shell behind the closet. I solved this problem by drilling a new hole in the latch that holds the upper shell in place. I had to flip the square aluminum latch over 180 degrees so not conflict with the existing hole. I no longer have any significant draft.

I set my thermostat on the lowest possible setting, which is about 55 degrees when we go to bed. The furnace fan makes a lot on noise and who wants to listen to that more than then need to.

We always set up the percolator the night before. First one up in the morning turns on the coffee and cranks up the furnace. By the time the coffee is perking the TM is nice an warm, though the floor is still pretty cold.

Some people prefer to use portable catalytic heaters. Personally I don't trust them. I would rather listen to the furnace. It is vented to the outside. At least I have a good chance of waking up in the morning. These catalytic heaters require that you leave a window open to allow air in. To me that just seems to defeat the purpose.