View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwilly View Post
I think I have a problem with the Thetford toilet when emptying the tank. The last two times we have had the camper out I have not heard the 'whoosh' when I pull the lever at the base of the toilet. Nothing happens!

However, when I pull the valve outside the camper to dump into the sewer connection the tank empties!.

I am of the opinion the lever inside the camper does nothing when I pull it....in other words 'it ain't working'. When I go to charge the toilet I believe the chemical I use along with the water to charge it goes all the way to the outside valve, which explains why it takes an abnormally long time to fill the tank to the green charge position.

My question is two fold. Do you think I am correct in my assesment of the problem?
How would one go about repairing the broken lever in the Thetford, short of taking it to the dealer? Are they difficult to take loose and inspect for internal damage? Has anyone done this before? How difficult a task is it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
I had the exact same problem.

If you don't hear that 'swoosh' noise when you pull the T valve it probably means that the EZ Slide valve is remaining open (even slightly) when the T valve is in the closed position. The effect of the valve not closing completely is that the water/chemical mix gets past the EZ Slide valve and starts filling the black PVC pipe. The slide valve at the outlet is really the only thing holding back the contents of the toilet. If you've noticed that it seems to take longer to charge the toilet, this is the reason - you're filling some of the black pipe as well as the toilet.

In discussing the situation with the factory, I learned that sometimes a gasket in the EZ Slide valve gets curled and does not allow the valve to close completely. When I finally got the toilet out (the mounts were installed backwards, but that's another story) and the valve removed, I saw that the gasket was indeed curled and would not allow a complete seal. I had ordered a replacement set of gaskets from Thetford, and replaced the bad gasket. It's worked fine ever since, and I'm hearing the 'swoosh' noise again.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote