View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #20
lnussbau

I towed my 2720SL for about a year and a half with an Explorer Sport Trac, then traded it for an F-150 Crew Cab with factory heavy duty tow package. Although the Sport Trac would tow the TM just fine, most of the time, the steep grades on the way to places such as Golden Gate Park, or the 7% grades in places such as Rabbit Ears Pass were a problem going up, and a little uncomfortable coming down, sometimes. Keep in mind that, besides loading up the TM, I also had the Sport Trac bed nearly full, and the back seat somewhat loaded, as well (gear, not people).

There was actually one spot going to Golden Gate where I nearly couldn't keep going, even in first gear. I was actually on the verge of having to stop and put the Sport Trac in low range in order to get up the hill (there was no immediate place to turn around). At Rabbit Ears (eastbound U.S. 40), I was constantly in first gear going up, and it felt as though I was straining the transmission (no actual evidence, though).

Going down grades such as these, I was concerned about extended braking, and about what would happen should I have to make an emergency stop or, worse yet, an emergency maneuver with the TM on the back.

So although I never saw any actual damage to the vehicle from the steep grades, and I didn't actually experience any emergencies during this time, I elected to go to the F-150 for peace of mind, if nothing else (the potential problems in emergencies got to me).

I went with the crew cab because of the extra seating space (or storage if I wanted that).

Obviously you have to evaluate your own situation, but I thought I'd throw in my outlook for your consideration. It really IS a lot more comfortable (mentally) with the F-150.