View Single Post
Old 03-25-2003, 02:34 PM   #1
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Fixed Roof Seal Gap Problem.......

Recall(?) that I had a gap 'tween the upper/lower shell outside seal, door side - about 1/2 inch or so, narrowing to none about 2/3 of the way toward the center.

There was a lot of discussion regarding how to fix. Here's how I did the deed.

After much study, it seemed that lowering the aft end of the upper shell was, indeed the way to go. Using a cinder block and bottle-jack, I supported the torsion bar from below. Using a 2x2 (hardwood), I placed the upper end under, and in contact with, the foot-stirrup of the lift arm, and supported the lower end with my auto's scissor-jack. Loosened all 4 bolts, lowered the 2x2 about 1/4 inch (a tie wrap kept it stable), wrapped cloth around the lower part of the stirrup, and whacked the livin' ... ummm, until the lift arm moved downward and seated on th 2x2. (Actually there was a bit more to it than that, but you get the drift). The stirrup held up just fine, as did the finish.

Repeated for another 1/8 inch, or so. Then, having stowed the lower door (it was in the way), I tried to position the door to re-engage the forward clip. Wouldn't cooperate. Turns out the top moves downward, but the door doesn't (duh!). Theres a little screw on top of the pivoting segment which went clunk against the lower edge of the shell. Got out my trusty rattail file and trimmed some excess overhanging aluminium. Close but no cigar.

So - had to raise the roof 1/8" to gain clearance. Clamped the bolts, etc. The seal gap was now much better, but not good enough. What to do? Right, raise the lower shell to remove the remaining gap. Using the same setup, sans bottle jack under the torsion rod, I jacked up the forward arm of the lower shell until the torsion rod was pulled up and wedged against the upper part of the hole thru which it extends. Pounded the bar down to the lower extreme and repeated once more. Perfect! Snug the bolts, perform an function check, sign it off, and get my quality assurance boss (Mz. Teddy) to ok it!

A side benefit of this exercise was that both door-side latches engage and fit better than they had before. Also the annoying gap I had between the upper shell and the forward stowable segment (containing the door latch reciever) is gone (almost).

Moral of the story? There are some really helpful peeps on this forum, and I thank you all for your advice/ideas.

Denny_A ('n Teddy_A the QA)
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote