View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
ng2951

I went over to the Toyota site to see what the Sienna could do. The limits on your Sienna with the towing option is 3500 pounds. Remember that is the empty weight of the 2720 which is about 2,800 lbs. If you add a/c add about another 150 lbs to the empty weight and another 60 lbs of propane.

It would be real easy to exceed the 3,500 max for the Sienna. Remember you haven't added water yet to the holding tanks. You need to figure in 26 gallons (cold + hot water capacities) with nothing in the grey and Thetford tanks. You could fill and dump both before and after you camp and that would minimize the time you might exceed the 3,500 lb limit.

The plus side is that you have a V6. That helps. The downside is that you may have front wheel drive. Not a killer, but it does limit how well you can put power to the road.

The towing package for the Sienna does not spell out what it has in it. A good tow package, besides hitch mount and wiring, would have a transmission cooler. If you do not have one, you should get it.

I know the dilemma you face. I was in your position with a 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl with a 3,500 tow rating. When we bought the truck, we were not into Cowboy Action Shooting and had not considered towing anything. But when we did, 3,500 lbs really limited us on what we could tow, TMs included.

We took about a $3,000 hit upgrading to a 4-door Tacoma Prerunner with a 6,500 lb tow package. That meant we could pull any TM and probably any Hi-Lo. At least now, I do not need to worry about what I pull with my Tacoma.

That was good news because I happened onto an excellent deal on a 2006 3326. That guy is now sitting in my driveway and has even been to the range once!

So with caution you can drag a 2720 behind your Sienna. However, a little more powerful TV would open a bigger class TMs (like the 3124s) that may be a better fit for you.