View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Oh, please don't do that, Pat! It is very hazardous, and is absolutely forbidden by all electrical codes. The problem occurs when you are not using the male outlet, but you are using normal shore power for the TM. At that time, the protruding prongs of the male outlet are live! I know, I know, it is in a little compartment with a spring-loaded cover. But are you willing to risk the life of the neighbor's curious little kid - or maybe your own kid, or a grandchild, or a mechanic who is working on the TM - when they wonder what's in there? Or when the TM drags a bit over a bump in the road and breaks the little housing, and you don't even know it is broken?

Every winter in Maine we have blizzards and the power fails, sometimes for days at a time. Every time it happens, people dig out their Home Depot generators. And some of those people make up male-to-male extension cords so they can plug the generator into a house outlet and backfeed the house. And every year, a certain number of those people die, and a certain number burn their houses down when the exposed male end comes into contact with something it shouldn't. After all, we all learn from our earliest days that it is safe to touch the prongs on a cord, right? What you are proposing to build is a male-to-male extension cord, and it is dangerous!

Off my soapbox now.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote