View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
Goodyear Travels

I'm kind of surprised that you have 3.5 inches of clearance. I have an '07 2720sl that was manufactured around the same time as yours and it had only 2 inches of clearance. I know for certain that my axle is the 22 degree down, Dexter axle based on confirmation from Dexter (I e-mailed our axle number). I have since added a 2.5 inch lift so I'll have 4.5 inches of clearance before adding the 15 inch wheels. It sounds like you're going to end up with about the same clearance as Bill and, I believe, he's comfortable with how his trailer sits with the 15's. I suppose that deep pot holes could give all of us a headache. I've done a good bit of tire research and I've made up my mind to go Maxxis. I believe it's close to 10 lbs heavier than a comparable Marathon and while heavier doesn't necessarily mean better --- there is a relative scarcity of reports of Maxxis failures. I'm hoping that it's the best choice for the extreme heat of Arizona summers and that its heavier casing makes it slightly less susceptible to catastrophic failures from pressure loss. It's the official "desert" tire for some upcoming event but Maxxis likely bought that claim to fame. I know we're still gathering data and the jury is still out on all of this. I'll going to be one of the Maxxis guinea pigs. Good luck with your decision and keep us informed.
I'm also hoping that Craigslist is going to help take a bit of the sting out of the new wheel and tire purchase. I'll probably run my old fourteen inch wheels and tires for $50-$60 each and a sale would help offset the new rubber.