View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
arniland

Default Tires, tires, tires

Dan, Bobby, and all the others who have contributed to this thread over the months,

I spent last night reading through this thread as well as a number of others. As I stated several weeks ago, we acquired a new 2007 2720SL which had been sitting on the dealers lot for over a year. While our unit is designated a 2007, it was produced in September of 2006. Yesterday I crawled under the trailer to try to look at the clearances on my tires with the thought of upgrading to 15". When I pulled the cover, I measured nearly 3 1/2" above the tire. This is with an empty trailer, no batter, empty bottles, no fluids, cabinets empty.

I then went in and re-read this thread.

We are planning a road trip in early April which will start with a stop at the factory. I have an appointment to have them go over the trailer and intend to learn which drop axle I have. We will make this trip with the original 14" Marathons and crossed fingers. However, this summer we will be doing a trip to the west coast and back which will probably be 7,000 to 8,000 miles. I want to upgrade my tires before then.

So my big question. Are there any lessons learned yet from the great tire experiment? How did the European sized 14" tires do (with the higher load capacity) or should I just bite the bullet and buy 15" rims and tires, and possibly a lift kit? Not asking you to make my decision, just if there is any new information.

BTW - I've looked at the images someone posted a while ago and my 2007 does not have one.

This forum has been a great help in reaching informed decisions. Bought my battery and mud flaps today.

Thanks to all for their contributions.

Arn

Arnold in Maryland
TVs - 2003 GMC Yukon XL 6L
TM - 2007 2720SL
arniland is offline   Reply With Quote