View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Towing with a lighter tow vehicle

This is from the Trailmanor web site:

"Based on feedback from our owners, we provide the following model guidance:"

"MODERATE TOWING CONDITIONS
Mostly low altitudes, only occasional steep grades, part time service, normal highway speeds - Models 2619 through 3023 need at least 3500 pound tow rated vehicles and Models 3124 through 3326 need 5000 pound ratings."

"SEVERE TOWING CONDITIONS
High mountain towing, full time service - all models will perform better with at least 5000 pound rated tow vehicles."

The now-famous towing reference site has 2 guidelines:
http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm

The first table is for full sized trailers, and overstates the problem a bit from a Trailmanor owner's point of view. The second guideline is actually based on a simple ratio: the distance from the hitch ball to the trailer axle should be no more that 2 times the tow vehicle wheelbase. This distance on the model 3023 is 180 inches. Hypothetically, you can tow a 3023 with most of the crossover SUV's without violating this guideline.

Some towing things I think about:

- You choose how your vehicle is loaded by how much and where you put the load in the TV and trailer, and how you set the weight distributing hitch. Getting it right is important with front wheel drive tow vehicles that might be near the edge of their envelope (I like the 1000 pound Reese hitch because its 20# lighter than some of the others and has a lot of oomph to shift weight forward in the TV).

- Your TV probably has antilock brakes, but your Trailmanor does not. You don't want the trailer brakes to lock up in a panic stop, because the trailer would skid to one side or the other behind your better-braking TV. Therefore, your stopping distance while towing will always be longer than when you're not towing. In wet or (God forbid, don't do this) icy conditions, your trailer brakes can lock up in a hard stop because your otherwise well adjusted brake controller doesn't know any better.

- I inflate my TV tires to the maximum rated sidewall pressure. My TV is supporting a maximum load. Maximum load for the tires is at maximum air pressure, I don't want tire flex anyway (remember the Firestone-Ford Explorer flap about their 28psi tire failures), and the TV handles the trailer much better under the stiffer ride conditions.

- Part of a manufacturers tow rating is transmission durablity. When its hot, hilly, or in headwinds it's harder on the tranny. The faster you go, the greater the load on the drive train because wind resistance increases with the square of the speed (eg. 4 times the work at 60 as it is at 30).

- Your speed determines your safety. A wise man once told me that it's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop in an RV that counts. I've probably driven a million miles, but only a few tens of thousands towing. Surprises should be treated as more likely possibilities when towing, and a prudent 60 provides both better gas mileage and an important cushion that you don't have at 70 in the fast lane.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote