View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #46
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Chap and Bill have done this conversion recently. Maybe they will chime in with their wheel choices. (Hint-Hint)
After I decided to go with the 15" wheels, I still wanted to stay with the "C" rated tires, mainly to give the TM a little softer ride than the stiffer sidewall "Ds". The 15 "Cs" have almost a 600 lb. combined maximum load capacity over the 14s, so I figure that ought to be plenty of fudge factor. Only a couple of manufacturers offer the 225/75R15s in the "C" rating. I decided on the Titan ST225/75R15 C RADIAL ST II TLs. The tire store confirmed that they rotate stock, and have recent manufacture dates on their tires. When I went to get the tires, they were already 3 yrs. old!!! They didn't sell many of the "Cs", and failed to mention that on the phone. The only other brand they carried were Carlisles. Again . Since I was already there, the Carlisles were made in week 50 & 51 of 2006, and several tire dealers had told me that they have had no problems with Carlisles, I went on and bought them. Hopefully, the Carlisles of past have greatly improved. We will see over the next couple of years. I only have 2000 miles on them so far, but that has included some pretty rough back roads.

A footnote: The trailer guy that looked at my brakes and bearings, made mention that I should go with a stiffer sidewall, since the Carlisles looked squishy to him. But he mainly deals with heavy horse trailers and dump trailers that use bias plyed tires. But if these tires don't work out well, I will go to the "Ds" when the time comes. If these work out OK after 3 or 4 yrs and many miles, I might stay where I am......I like the cushioned ride, and things seem to stay in place in the TM, even on bumpy roads. Again, we will see.

Chap