View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #32
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
Just finished reading that article. Great information . . . thanks for sharing.

Dick
You're welcome, Dick. The following excerpt from that article really stuck out with me.

"As an estimate, in about three years roughly one-third of a tire's strength is gone, just because of the normal process of aging," Fry claimed. "We believe three to five years is the projected life of normal trailer tires."

If this estimate is close to being true (and/or if the premise is factual), then the OE 14 inch tires that are already close to weight carrying capacity on our Trailmanors new, certainly don't have a third to spare as they age. Very interesting comment, and another reason to check the manufacture dates carefully.

EDIT: After really thinking hard about that comment, and I believe that it came from Goodyears guy, this might be something that Ed and the great people at Trailmanor should possibly look into when buying tires from Goodyear. I would think they would need a tire that has a 25 to 40% reserve margin for load. This should cover the tire from becoming overloaded due to the deteriorating as stated, and following their recommendation of replacing the tires every 3 years. Bill, and his engineer mind, can probably come up with the exact math.