View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 05:03 AM   #30
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
Good point on the speed rating. That's confusing
I agree, it's all becoming confusing about tires.....especially these Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) that every vehicle manufactured with a gvw under 10,000 lbs now has since September. We had a customer yesterday who had bought himself a new set of fancy schmancy (not sure if spelled correct) wheels for his new Ford pickup. The place where he bought these wheels, didn't put his sensors back onto these aftermarket wheels (which they wouldn't have fit anyway). He brings his vehicle into us, expecting us to be able to turn his now ever-illuminated dashboard tire pressure light off for him.

I inform him, even if I knew how to bypass it (which I don't), that it would be against the law. However, it's not against the law for the aftermarket wheels installer to not have to reuse his sensors. Now that's crazy......but true. You can legally do away with the sensors, but not bypass the system.

I advised him, of two options. He could carry all 4 of his original tire/wheels in the back of his truck, so they could transmit an OK to the onboard computer or place a piece of electrical tape over the dashboard light.

OK, enough ranting on my part, and really this doesn't even fit this forum topic. If an administrator wants to delete it, then that's OK.