View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 AM   #21
larsdennert

Last weekend I had a blowout. I'm guessing the tires are from 2003 as I bought the TM used. It was a short two hour drive, without the flat, and changing the tire on the side of the freeway was no joy but better than in the middle of nowhere on the way to UT. While just finishing up someone honked as they went by. Another TM, the first I've seen.

So I've been debating on whether to buy another spare or go to 15s. To help me decide I did a bit of math.

2870 dry weight from memory but all are guesses
100 AC unit
50 awning
100 batteries and propane
200 water
100 food and personal items probably way low as just the bikes and rack were that much. I didn't take my generator either.

3420 total if my math is right. You could argue up or down on all of these but you get the idea.

Two 14" Load range C tires at 1870 each is 3740. Now say your tires are underinflated to 45psi which is 5psi or 10% under. We would expect the load capacity to decrease by 10% or 374 making only 3366. So it's not hard to go over the tire capacity and the margin for error is very slim.

I don't know how I can, in good conscience, rely on this setup and feel relaxed on a vacation. I think it's time to fix TM's oversight.

And another thing, my swing arms appear to contact the TM 2" lift blocks. That must reduce wheel travel and put more strain on the tires too when that arm slams to a stop. No wonder the tire gave out on that hot day traveling up the very bumpy LA 101.