View Single Post
Old 07-27-2001, 06:19 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Default Re: Equalizers and Sway Bars

Hi G'pa,
You didn't tell us what year your E-series Ford is, or if it is an E150 or E250.  Since you refer to your V-8 as a 302, I'm assuming it is not a new van.

My 2001 Ford RV & Trailering guide says the new E150 will hold 500# on the hitch receiver of a factory installed tow package (does your's have that?).  The E150 with the 4.6L V-8 (about 220 HP) will tow 6600# when equipped with tow package and the 3.55 rear axle ratio.  The 5.4L V-8 (about 260 HP) will tow 7000# with the 3.55 rear axle ratio.

In my opinion, the Hensley Arrow is "overkill" for a TrailManor.  I considered one for our new 26' Tahoe Wide Lite and decided with the right tow vehicle and the right hitch I didn't need it... and this trailer is double the weight of the TraileManor you are considering.

I don't think you'll need an equalizer hitch, either.  The way to test that is to put the TM on you hitch after you've measured the unladened height of the hitch from the ground.  After putting the TM on the hitch, measure again.  If the hitch dropped more than 1" you should get an equalizer to distribute the weight.  Make sure the TM is loaded with propane and a full clean water tank before you do this.

We found a sway bar helpful in reducing the gust of wind from passing big rigs.  The TM tows beautifully and may not need it, but it gave us peace of mind.  We never had a hint of sway or fishtailing, before or after installing the sway bar.

Enjoy your TM and travel safely,