Thread: Tire Research ?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
flyguy

I have to agree on the quality of the Goodyear Marathon tires. I recently purchased a used 2004 3124KB and towed it from Ft. Myers, Fla. to Dothan, Alabama, I did not have any trouble towing the trailer and the trailer did fine. A while ago I was reading the treads on tires and read that the Goodyear tires were giving the most trouble so I went to the trailer to check the tire brand and found that one of the tires was a Maxxis and the other was a Goodyear. I thought I would replace the Goodyear with the spare and found that it too was a Goodyear, anyway I bought two new Trail America tires and replaced both the new Goodyear tires which didn't have but about 1000 miles on them and found the one Goodyear that was on the drivers side to have a swollen patch the size of a silver dollar on the sidewall just below the tread. Luckly I found this before taking another trip, because it surely would have blown out on the road!! I can not thank the Trailmannor forrum enough for bringing this to my attention. I have since replaced the Goodyear tires with Trail America ST225/75R15 tires. As a side note, when I received the new tires I compared the weight of them with the Goodyear tires, the Trail America tires weighed about twice that of the Goodyear tires, so how is it that both of them carry a load range D rating? Both have stamped into the side info that says two steel belts, 8ply with two plys on the sidewalls. Why do the Goodyear tires weigh a lot less? How much less am I getting for my money with the Goodyear Marathons?