View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 01:34 AM   #15
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Larson View Post
Bobby,
Your BOSS, In-dash player & radio looks very interesting. Did you get it up and running and did it meet or exceed your expectations ?
Eric
Yep Eric, it did the job nicely. This particular radio installation is where I did an rca jack modification to my telephone outlet box (which I have been asking if everyone uses in another forum post).

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6303

I have been meaning to take some pics and post how I did this mod. After this easy mod, all you have to do is to plug rca jacks into the box, then your tv set, and you're ready to go. I'll try to finish this tomorrow, to show everyone.

I can watch regular tv, watch dvd's, play cd's, plug Ipods (etc) into the radio, and more......all this with the sound coming from my built-in radio speakers.

Thanks for asking, and you have inspired me to finish my posts on this radio installation.

A few observations:
The documentation that comes with radio is fairly vague. It's nothing that anyone with any electronic experience couldn't overcome easily though. This vagueness is why I wanted to post the radio installation in the forums so ANYONE could do it.

The online specs for this radio says it has front and rear rca outputs. This is misleading, because the first thought is that it has front and rear rca JACKS....which it doesn't. It has front and rear SPEAKER rca outputs, but all of this is on the backside of the radio. I used the front speaker rca outputs to plug the tv set into, while hardwiring the built-in trailmanor speakers into the rear speaker wiring from the radio. This gives me a semi-surround sound, and lets me use the front/rear speaker fade control to adjust sound levels either thru the rear trailmanor speakers or thru the front television set speakers.

Boss makes a model BV3950T that has rca outputs built onto the front of the unit. This makes plugging a tv set into it very easy, however this player doesn't have a radio tuner, like the BV4450T does. I would think everyone would want a AM/FM radio.

I really can't gripe for the price, but I just wish the unit had a built-in ATSC (high definition) tuner, instead of just a NTSC (regular analog) tuner. All the television stations are turning off their NTSC broadcasts in 2009, by federal law. This will make the radio unit's built in NTSC tuner worthless then, unless I want to hookup a ATSC convertor box. But who wants another piece of electronic equipment taking up space and power in their trailer. It bewilders me why television manufacturers are still making stuff with only NTSC tuners in them, but they are.

Bobby