Thread: Summary
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
edweidig

Default Rotor Warping etc.

First I don't understand Freedom's disagreeing with avoiding TV's with rotors that warp. I would certainly try to avoid them. That said, I did drive a 4Runner for 287K miles, and the rotors on it warped regularly, and I didn't even tow with it. (It was an '87. I would hope Toyota corrected the rotor problem in later models). Great car, but it would warp rotors!

Secondly, that 80% rule while not written in stone is a good one. It especially holds true in hilly or mountainous terrain. Ten percent will give you plenty of safety margin if you primarily drive on flat ground. If you try to maintain those margins, you do have some fudge factor. That doesn't mean you have to get a 1 ton dually to tow a TM, but you do need enough car to do it safely. That means too, one with enough wheel base that the tail won't be wagging the dog. Most any car on the road has enough HP to tow a TM but that doesn't mean it will do it safely or without excessive wear and tear on the drive train or suspension. If you're going to err, do it on the side of safety.

I'm not trying to slam anybody. My guess is everyone on this forum is probably well within the guidelines anyway. Happy travels! I try to say hello to any TM owners I see on the road. Maybe one day we'll meet, even though I am no longer a TM owner. (I went full timing so had to get something bigger).