View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
randyveach

Default Blow out on I-35 in Texas

I recently blew a tire on my way to Round Rock, Texas (home) from camping in Tyler, Texas. It was on the passenger side and ripped the tread right off the tire. I was very lucky that the only damage done was to the fender skirt. I called Good Sam road side assistance and within an hour I was back on my way. When I got home, the first thing I did was to get on this forum to find out what tires I needed to purchase. I couldn’t get a good feel as to what to buy, so I went to where we purchase our automobile tires, NTB (National Tire and Battery). I talked with the manager for about an hour and basically he said that all tires have a certain percentage of failures within a short period of time. This applies to automobile tires as well as trailer tires. Certain conditions that are specific to that type of tire (trailer / automobile) are what contribute to the percentage of tire failures. This was about the same information I had read earlier in the forum. I asked him what tire would he put on his trailer, and he said Goodyear Marathon. I asked him about the warranty and he said that Goodyear now has a 6 year pro-rated warranty on that tire (in fact he called Goodyear to make sure of that). I paid $107 for each tire (ST225/75R15 D), and $27.99 for each tire for the King Royal Tire Service (Lifetime wheel balance, Lifetime tire rotate, No-fault road hazard warranty). All in all, it was a little more than what I had budgeted for, at this time, but I’m glad I have good tires on my camper. I have had great luck in dealing with NTB with my car tires; I hope I can say as much for my camper.
I would like to thank everyone for there input on trying to make a new tire purchase. All input was definately a help in that decision.