View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post
Wmtire...

Now this begs the question, what about disabling the device? I monitor my tires quite closely, and I don't need a gadget to tell me my tire is low. I'll bet if I had that on my vehicle and told the dealer to ignore it (remove them or whatever) they would say they couldn't do it, due to Federal regulations. I, quite frankly, think this is bunk and a way for dealers to make extra dollars (yourself excluded, of course). As if they don't jab you enough when you take your vehicle in for servicing as it is.

Mike Anderson
Mike,it is a HUGE headache for us, and will just get worse as time goes on.

We have a Michell guide that tries to explain the reset procedures to us for each vehicle. At the beginning of each vehicles section, it explains just how this particular vehicles TPMS system is done. From the one's I have took the time to read fully, it usually consists of it being tied into the OBD of the vehicle, certain door electrical systems, and other stuff. It is against the law for any dealer (including us) to purposely bypass or disengage the TPMS system, which is probably why it is tied into so many systems that prevent it.

Once your sensor on the wheel goes bad, then the low pressure light will stay on all the time (or flash). Another concern is aftermarket wheels. Some don't have the proper bead drop to accept the sensors, so your light will stay on if you do away with the sensors.

Give it a few years, and you will have MANY people refuse to buy new sensors when their batteries deplete. So this is my hot stock pick advice for everyone. Buy shares in 3M black electrical tape. It should sell very well, once everyone starts putting some over their low tire light on their dashboards that stays on all the time.

Here is some of the boring NHTSA explanation on it. Part B tells the most. You need to educate yourselves and your friends on TPMS, because it's here for awhile.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...ule.html#N_52_