View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Unhappy 3124 behind a 4R ??? I don't like it, thought you had a smaller TM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Would you estimate that a 3124 pulled by the V6 4Runner would be at least adequate, meaning it would hold ~50 mph uphill or so if needed?
I'm not deeply concerned about the Engine or Tranny on grades like that, although you ARE talking about a trailer which weights at least 500 lbs, maybe even 800 lbs more than mine. (I load our "little" 2619 real heavy, and I ordered it built with the same tires and and suspension as your 3124 to make that possible). You might be spending a lot of time in 3rd rather than 4th, but as long as the Tranny's locked, it'll cruise OK. I have oodles of power which I've never used. But I think you should use premium gas if you're gonna cruise highway speeds in 3rd.

The big issue is wheelbase. A 4R is a great match for a 2619 or a 2720, but a lot of people here REALLY, REALLY wouldn't want to tow one of the longer ones. I'm one of them. A 26 ft trailer behind a 110 inch wheelbase is kinda asking for the Tail to wag the Dog.

In NORMAL driving and straight-line breaking, the Trailer brakes do a lot of the work, and 4R's very capable suspension components (WITH WDH to make them useful) do the rest. But in an emergency maneuver where you change direction suddenly, or stomp the brake AND change direction, the trailer axle is a long way back-- it has a long "arm of moment" to whip the vehicle around in the direction in which the TRAILER AXLE wants to go. (Straight.)

To overcome that sideways torque, you should have a long wheelbase to resist it: Your TV's ability to resist the skidding tendency depends on it's two axles and the distance between them (more is better). Some people will never face an emergency in which they will HAVE TO suddenly lurch their Trailer suddenly. But if you do have such a situation, it is possible that the last thing you'll see, before heading into the ditch, is the trailer pulling your rear end loose so that it can continue going in the 'straight line' which IT wants.

If you do it, be careful. I WOULDN'T.