View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjam View Post
Hi... ...we want to be sure the tank is clean. We filled it to the top and added about 1/4 cup bleach. We plan to leave it like that overnight.
Thanks,
Jo Ann
Jo Ann,
This is the prescribed and accepted way to "sanitize" your fresh water tank and all the lines and faucets in the trailer. I owned a TM and now a travel trailer. I only sanitized the TT twice in the 6 years we've owned it.

If your water has a bad taste or strange odor, take these steps to kill bacteria that may be present:
a. Fill fresh water tank half way with clean, fresh water.
b. Mix 1/4 cup of household bleach for every 15 gallons of tank capacity in a container with a gallon or two of clean water and pour this mixture into the water tank.
c. Top off the water tank with fresh water. Go for a drive to mix the solution.
d. Pump water through each faucet so that all the lines are filled with the water/bleach mixture from the tank. Usually, running a quart of water out each faucet is adequate.
e. The hot-water tank holds at least 6 gallons of water. Run the hot water faucets until this much solution has passed to insure that the old water has been purged from the hot-water tank, and it is now filled with the water/bleach solution from the water tank. You'll smell the chlorine.
f. Let the water stand for several hours.
g. Drain the entire water system, hot water tank included.
h. To remove the bleach odor, mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with a gallon of water and pour into the freshwater tank.
i. Fill the tank completely and pump this solution through the water heater and rest of the water lines. This solution can sit in the system for a few days. Driving the rig around the block will slosh water around and thoroughly clean the tank.
j. Drain the entire system and refill with fresh, clean water.