View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

OK, folks, we've had lots of discussions about the importance of transmission temperature, especially on long steep upgrades at high altitude. I've considered installing a temp sensor in the transmission pan as Rocky Mtn Ray did, but as I expressed above, I could never find a reputable shop that would do the work.

DCAIRNS never became a member, but I have to give him credit for finding and suggesting the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge. I've been suspicious about it - it seems too good to be true - but I've also been drooling over it for a couple years. After a series of emails between myself and Todd, the Aeroforce internet sales rep, I finally gave in to my lust and bought one last week. It arrived yesterday, and I did a temporary install today.

Wow! It looks great, and seems to do exactly what is promised! It can read out any two (user-selected out of about 20) directly-supplied engine/transmission parameters, including parameters like coolant temp. It can also display several calculated parameters like "miles per gallon" or "horsepower". I have mine set up to display transmission fluid temp (the thing I really care about) and mpg.

Besides the basic parameters, the thing can also read, record, and play back a bunch of race-track parameters like quarter-mile time, peak horsepower, and so forth. I don't care about those, but it can also read (and clear if commanded) the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) that are present when your "Check Engine" light comes on. That can be quite valuable.

I don't have much experience with it yet, and I will repost when I do. But technology advances. This is a nice (and relatively cheap) alternative to the agony that RMR had to go through in order to get a temp sensor installed in the transmission pan in his Tundra.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote