Thread: Corner Latch
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
It seems that there was some sort of adjustment on the torsion bars that would account for the latches not lining up properly. I think Larry Loo had some experience on that - something about the adjustment of where the lifting bars attach to the torsion bars. I can't recall completely but the factory should be able to tell you exactly. Maybe Larry will chime in here - if he was the one who mentioned it before. (It seems like you had to loosen the four bolts at the bottom of the lifting bar and lift it with a jack and re-tighten the bolts. It had to be done with the shell open so there wouldn't be any tension on the torsion bar.)
Hmmm... I recall something along those lines too.

If I were trying to eliminate fault conditions, I would get on a ladder, with the shells opened and in the normal camping position, and check for a gap between the aft shell and forward shell's aft "fluffy" seal. If there is a gap, on the street-side, then the latch misalignment may be as a result of the slippage(downward) of the forward, street-side torsion bar of the aft shell. The downward slippage would account for the shell gap. The same slippage would also force the shell forward the same amount as the the latch misalignment. That is as the shell rotates thru 90 deg, during closure, the shell would have tracked forward the same amount as the gap when open.

If that's not the problem, never mind. It's something else.

Denny_A