View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
rtry9a

Mr Freedom,.
Did I not just say that the distance between ball and rear axle is more important than between axles? I think you said the same thing in so many words. The Explorer Sport has rear wheels very near the bumper. I only said that the Explorer is one of the best all around tv's Ive personally used, but Ive used a lot of different rigs in the past, in work and play.

The Explorer stabilty/recall issue was about a few bad defective lots of OEM Goodyear tires and under inflation... all SUVs have a stability problem when drivers over react- simple physics, a function of a high center of gravity. Longer Semi tractors are preferred because they drive smoother, not because they do the job any better, and most of them allow the connect point to be moved forward for backing.

The same can be said about any vehicle- I happen to prefer the much better agility the shorter wheelbase provides- I can do a U-turn inside a normal road with in the Explorer. Very handy in off-road situations, on tight switchbacks, and backing a trailer into a tight spot.