View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default No extra antennas needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Ray, Mike:

You both have 2720s, about the same as my 2619. Did you need to install the optional 'remote antenna', or the in-the-RV signal booster, in order to get good reception at your TV dash?

Or were you able to just put 'em on the stems and get a strong signal WITHOUT any extra stuff?

Thanks in advance. I'm getting one, I think. DW and TM are both worth it.
The answer is "B"...you should not need the extra stuff. I'm able to get plenty of signal strength while towing with just the little stub antenna that came with the monitor. That's with the monitor lying in the tray at the front of my truck's console (i.e. not up near a window). Somewhat amazingly, I've found I can even get a reliable readout when my TV (Tundra truck) is parked along the street in front of my house and the trailer is still in the garage...about 60~70 feet away.

If I were you I'd just get the regular kit and see it how it works...my suspicion is that will be all you need.

P.S. If you don't already have them, the one thing I'd definitely recommend is retrofitting your trailer wheels with metal valve stems. As discussed previously in this thread (and in other recent threads), the rubber valve stems are a weak point. I managed to make it through all of last year's towing season without a failure in either stem but I'm getting metal valve stems installed (in 15 inch rims) before I start towing this year.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote