View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

My pigtail connection separated from my new trailer on our first trip. Dec., 2006! I discovered the problem at the Tennessee welcome center just after leaving KY! Bummer. The road had ground down the connection plug, shredded 2' of cable casing and bared 5 of 7 wires. Bummer.

A nice man from a nearby KY town replaced my entire cable and plug in 30 minutes (after waiting 3 hours for his arrival).

He removed the entire cable from its connection point to the underside of the trailer (not a TM, but same process I'm sure). He cut a 7 wire RV cable to length + some extra. Stripped the wires for the trailer connection and crimped connector loops to each. He secured them with the nuts which came from the trailer.

Then he performed a continuity check from the trailer to the wires at the the other end of the cable, then cut to the finish length. He used my diagram (which I heisted from Bill) of the configuration of both the trailer connector and the Tow Vehicle connector. After a bit of checking to ensure the wires going to the new plug were crimped to the proper points, he slid a waterproof sleeve over the whole plug.

The full function test was anti-climatic. All worked perfectly on the first try.

Now having seen it done by a professional in 1/2 hour, I know it would take me no more than, say, 2 days to do it myself. After all, I would do a lot to save $210.

I imagine a local RV sales/maintenance business could do the same for the TrailManor - for less than my emergency repair cost - if all other solution fail b4 your scheduled trip. Bona fortuna!

Denny_A