View Single Post
Old 10-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
idaho-steve

Hey Danny,

Your voltage readings while hooked up to AC (12.93vdc) and without hookup (11.7vdc) seem good to me as this would reflect the converter in a normal charging state. I do not think the converter is the problem -- particularly since it has recently been swapped out.

However, the high heat is very worrisome from both a safety standpoint as well as any downstream component damage to your wiring harness. There is no way you should be building up that kind of heat.and this would seem to reflect a high constant current load that is somewhat less than the amount necessary to open the 30A fuse. (In other words not a dead short.) I would suggest opening all the circuits at the power center and then systematically closing the individiual circuits at the power center one at a time to see if you can isolate the problem to a particular circuit.

In fact I would start with the AC attached and all circuits open to confirm that there is no current draw (therefore no heat).

If available, using an ammeter would be helpful but not essential.

I will be working on my TM the next couple of days so I could take some readings on my unit for comparrison sake. I would most DEFINITELY get this taken care of ASAP.

God luck,

Steve