View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
RCCBV1

Default Equalizer Hitch and Swing Tongue

When I purchased my TM I elected to have a Swing Tongue installed on it. This allows me to store it in the garage. I also decided to use the Equalizer Hitch because of some experience with a full size TT that decided it wanted to move in front of the tow vehicle on a muddy road. The trailer electric brakes corrected the problem, and allowed an oncoming vehicle to pass me. I did not have sway control at that time, but installed it right after this trip. No more tail wagging the dog. (I know, you shouldn’t need sway control with a TM, but I’m somewhat set in my ways.)

I found that the Equalizer Hitch spring arms could not be adjusted to the correct position, because of interference with the TM Swing Tongue hinge pin. (First Picture) I talked with Progress Mfg Inc. (Equalizer Hitch Manufacturer) and they suggested that I move the Equalizer Hitch Sway Bracket on the driver side out to provide the necessary clearance. This is accomplished by installing a solid spacer between the TM frame and the Equalizer Hitch Sway Bracket. (Second Picture) I purchased six additional Equalizer Hitch Inside Link Plates (from Progress Mfg Inc) and two new six inch bolts (local hardware), to create the solid spacer. The Equalizer Hitch Sway Bracket on the passenger side remains attached directly to the frame. (Third Picture) These modifications have allowed me to distribute the TM hitch weight between both TV axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Second.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thrid.jpg
Views:	206