View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Al
TM have found their way to New Zealand. I have a 2006 TM2720 and have just taken the unit out of its winterized mode. The battery has gone flat during the winter storage and I was wondering if any owners can advise me if it is possible to plug the power in while the TM is folded down and in storage, to charge up the battery system.
Hi Al,
Welcome to the TM family. Yes, you can keep the batteries charged during winter storage, in several different ways.

I remove the batteries and keep them in my garage (trailer is in storage several miles away) and keep them on a trickle charger. Place them on a shelf, or block of wood, not directly on a concrete floor. I check the water in them monthly to make sure they don't go dry. Trickle chargers usually only provide 1-1.5 amps until the battery is reasonably charged, and then reduce the amount of current to the battery, keeping it topped off.

If you store your TM at home, you can either (1) disconnect the battery leads from the trailer and connect a trickle charger directly to them, or (2) connect an extension cord to the TM power cord before you close it and keep the trailer plugged in all winter. Be sure to check the water every two weeks, at first. You'll soon learn how fast the water is "boiling" away and when you have to add more.