View Single Post
Old 07-28-2002, 06:35 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Slide-out floor getting soft

Wow, Denny, you have done a much better job of investigating/observing than I did. I guess I was vageuly aware that there had to be rollers near the walls, since I, too, have managed to slide the slideout too far. But it just didn't really register. I certainly was NOT aware that they weren't in a straight line, so that is very useful input. It sounds like you have a good approach to getting access for installation of a fifth (not third) roller. Thanks.

Now, any idea what the floor material is? It feels like plywood, but I haven't confirmed. Is plywood an aeroelastic material? I'm not sure, though I guess Howard Hughes did build the Spruce Goose out of plywood ...

The real problem that I see is that the flex has gotten progressively worse. In the beginning, it was just kinda bouncy - not too bad. But as time went on, it got to the point where it now flexes right down until it rests on the floor underneath it. Although this is a self-limiting situation, I guess, it still suggests material failure to me. To draw a parallel, I once built a house (camp, actually), and being poor at the time, used 1/2" plywood to span the floor joists. It was OK at first, but as time went on, the plywood began to flex further, then delaminated, and finally broke up. I had to rip up a large section of floor, re-skin it, and install another (offset) half inch layer over the whole thing. The flex in my slideout floor has the same feel to it.

I'll hope to get at this project in the next couple of weeks, and will report back. Meanwhile, thanks again.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote