Thread: So confused!!
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
Doug W.

Well I am not sure I would put an inverter in the trailer unless you only want to power something small like a radio or TV. A microwave, coffee pot, and etc. are out of the question unless you want to buy tons of batteries. Inverters are not real efficient. If you want to power a device that pulls 1100 watts like a microwave, the inverter will need to pull around 1600 to 1900 watts to supply that load. That means you would need 120 to 150 amps. It is going to take quite a few batteries to supply that much current.

The battery plants at work are 48 VDC instead of 12 VDC. They are not a battery like a 6 or 12 VDC. They are composed of single 1.5 VDC cells. A single cell is around 2 foot wide, 3 foot deep and about 4 feet tall. We have 3 of these 48 VDC strings to supply the 48 VDC to the building inverter.

They do make some nice inverters for cars/trucks, but they will only supply the load with the engine running. We have them on our line trucks for their power tools. It is actually the alternator and not the battery supplying power to the inverter. In fact the inverters have a built in protection circuit that will not let them work unless the engine is running.

As to the solar power question, yes there are systems the do include inverters. Solar panels supply a steady output. You have to have a charge controller to make sure you do not over charge the battery. The inverter relies on the batteries to supply any additional current/power the solar panels can not. These systems are good for a TV or radio, but not a microwave or A/C. I would only remove the converter the trailer has if the system you are buying will charge the batteries from both the solar panels and 120 VAC. You also only want one of the system charging the batteries at a time.