View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
angler_2

Default towing with 104 wheelbase

CA_flyfisher,
I have not had much esperince with towing my 2070sl with my 104 inch wheelbase liberty that has a 5,000lb rating also yet (just drove 500 miles over two mountain passes on way home from picking it up. Had no problems but did feel it pushing around corners but took it easy. Like you I did quite a bit of research to decide which tm to buy. A lot has to do with where you tow. Found that towing the 2720 with 104 wheel base is border line in research. Problm comes with going down hill around curves where tail will wag the dog and push you around the curves if not prepared and turn and brake adequately before the curve could get you in trouble. Several users in this forum warned me of this.
If you exepct to tow on mostly flat and straight roads you might be Ok with bigger than a 2720 but for me it woujldn't be worth the risk.

I found that the tv wheel base is an important factor to consider in research. in checking with jeep community found that the liberty could easily be rated to tow more than 5000 lb with diesel engine and all but jeep was concerned with people trying to tow long trailers if they were only looking at the tow rating. Bottom line- you need to consider wheel base for sure.

You might want use advance search for user RockyMtnRay. He has quite a bit of experience with towing a 2720sl with a 104 inch wheel base tv (jeep cherokee) and also did tow calculations for some users in this forum. Since I will also be towing in similar types of terrain that he had I was very interested in what he had to say.

Good luck in your TMing and fishing!