View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
CA_flyfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
Gosh... don't know where I earned that reputation. I'm by no means a towing expert, but I tow my 2619 with a Chevy Trailblazer, tow cap = 5300 lbs. I've towed it over a mountain pass 9820' above sea level. The Trailblazer did OK both up and down the pass. I've towed one 600 mile and several 500 mile journeys ( one-way mileages) and the Trailblazer did OK. I've never towed higher than the above stated elevation, and did not break any speed records. I usually tow at 60 mph maximum and slower in the high country. Sometimes slower in the canyons too because of scenery, weather and traffic. I am sure that if I did get in the mountains on a long steep pull, I may have trouble maintaining 45 mph, but then again, I would probably be in the right or climbing lane behind some struggling 18 wheelers.
Now, having said that, it depends on where you tow and if you really need a monster truck to maintain 75 mph over mountain passes. I did tow my 2619 here on flat terrain with a Dodge Grand Caraven, tow cap = 3500 lbs and it was marginal, but I did it a few times. I'm sure my 2619 weighed close to 3500 lbs then. I still watch the weight..
The dry weight of a 3023 is listed by the factory @ 2915 lbs. That's without a/c, awning, propane, any other optional items.
I would estimate a fully loaded 3023 would weigh @ 4200 lbs, at least, ready to tow. With as much room as there is in a 3023, you have to be careful what you carry. If your tow vehicle is rated at 5000 lbs, it will tow 5000 lbs. It will not self destruct if you tow 5100 lbs, but in case of an accident, your insurance company may not pay if you're obviously overloaded, and they will weigh a rig if that is suspect. If I understand tow ratings correctly, three factors come into play: trailer weight, tow vehicle wheelbase and trailer shape. "regular" trailers have a large flat frontal area the contributes to wind resistance. The TM's low profile lessens this That is one reason TM's are "easy to tow". The Xterra has a 104 inch wheelbase, which would make me very apprehensive about towing a 3023. My Chevy Trailblazer has a 113 inch wheelbase and I consider that minimal for me...
Hope this helps...
Thanks Texas camper, I think I'll go with a 2619. I was worried about the wheelbase in towing a 3023. I'd rather be safe than sorry.