Thread: tow vehicle
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 06:14 PM   #32
Todd Perry

Default 3023 Quality Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc6588
I have a 2004 3023 and tow with a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder which has the same engine (3.3 liter, 170 hp, 200 ft-lbs of torque). The dry weight of 3023 is listed as 2915 lbs with a tongue weight of 409 lbs. With the options, 23 gallons of water, and the other stuff I have in my 3023, I still don't think my 3023 ever approach 4000lbs.

I don't have a WD hit (as matter of fact, my dealer told me the WD would be unnecessary), but my Pathfinder seems to do a very nice job on level roads. At first, I've gone over 75 miles per hour and then thought to myself that I am towing so I go a little slower now. I don't know if I should leave the Pathfinder off the Overdrive option. I have left it on and off and I get more uncomfortable seeing it constantly over 3.0 on the tachometer with the OD off.

I see one gentleman on this site that uses the Pathfinder to tow a 3326 (Chris Bauer of Mexico).

I haven't tried the mountains yet, but on level roads even without the WD, I think my Pathfinder does fine. I suspect that the mountain will put a tremendous amount of strain on the Pathfinder. I am concerned long term and sometimes wish that I would have traded in my Pathfinder for a Nissan Titan and gotten a less expensive RV (like the Jayco Lightweights) with all the quality problems I've experienced with my 2004 3023. However, I must say that towing is one of the positives of the TM so far. I've taken several 100 mile trips thus far.
Having settled on purchasing a used or new 3023 in the next 6 mos, I was cruising the Towing section of this awesome site with pretty much the same questions/assumptions you have (i.e. which Nissan or Toyota V6 should I buy). Having not read the rest of the site, I saw your statement about 3023 "quality problems." Can you be more specific? Thanks.