View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 06:23 PM   #7
bbeckham

Default Re: Inverter use while boon docking??

Quote:
Another option that we tried and found to work when dry camping was to take our extra 12V battery in the truck with us to recharge while driving around (with the windows open, of course). We hooked it up to an inverter that we bought from Camping World that had alligator clips on it (as well as a 12V and AC outlets).  So the tow vehicle (truck) battery charged the inverter and the attached battery while we were sightseeing.

This inverter has a small battery of it's own and allows for extending it's "life" by attaching a 12V battery as needed to supply extra operating power. We originally bought it to use as an inverter, for inflating truck/camper tires and for emergengy backup power at home and while camping.  

We thought that it might also work the other way and charge the attached battery. We were correct and found that the inverter would charge the internal battery and then charge the extended battery attached via the alligator clips.  It is called XPower  Portable Powerpack.  I think we got it on sale a couple of years ago when they first introduced it. http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...p;x=10&y=8

It is not advertised to charge an auxiliary battery, but it just considers any battery attached to it as an extension of itself.

Simpler than installing solar panels and cheaper/quieter than running a generator! ;D
Carol, that is an interesting contraption. Thanks for your input. What type of battery did your recharge? We found not all chargers will recharge a deep cycle battery completely. May be able to mimic your setup with our Battery Tender. At least I'm learning that I have to check how many amps a piece of equipment requires