View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
George -

Incidentally, I'm not sure that using the generator directly to charge the battery makes much sense. IIRC, the generator's DC (battery charging) output is pretty puny - only about 8 amps. But if you use the generator's AC output to power up the entire TM - including the converter - then the converter will make much more charge current available.

Bill
Bill,

I was recently in Yosemite for a week and had to use my Honda 1000i generator to boost my battery charge (my solar panels were partially shaded). My dual Trojan T-105's were down by about 45 A-H. When the solar panel did get light, the battery was charged at a rate of 9-12 Amps (depending upon shading conditions). When I connected the generator to A/C input of the trailer, my 7300 converter only charged the battery about 4-4.5 Amps. My solar charge controller is a three-stage MPPT charger. I believe that the 7300 is only a 2-stage charger. I conclude that the 7300 is not very good at quick charging the battery.

I'm wondering if a direct feed from the 12-volt output to the battery will result in a higher charging rate. We are heading back to Yosemite for another 5-days in November (weather permitting), and I will try out a direct connection at that time. I'll let you know what happens.

MikeD

p.s. --- btw, it's not a question of generator power. The 1000i was just idling, that is the 7300 converter was not putting a very large load on the generator. I have to assume that using a 2000i or 3000i would produce the same results.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote