View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Dixielou

Default Sway Control Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis
Another newbie question here:
We have ordered a new 3124KB with the rear bike rack receptacle. While we'd rather use the Swagman bike rack that goes between the TV and TM, this may not work with our setup and needs. Given the possibility of sway induced by two bikes and weight of the rack/receptacle on back, we're planning on getting the Equalizer hitch, even though this is not normally considered necessary for TMs. TV is a 2003 Tundra 2WD with tow package. Given the hitch weight of the 3124 getting close to the 600 pound mark when loaded, we will opt for the 1,000 pound bars. The extra 100 bucks for the Equalizer seems to make sense. Does this seems reasonable or even necessary? Anything I'm forgetting here?
Jon and Rita
Jellis,

Yes, we would also agree that your spending extra bucks for an Equal-i-zer hitch makes good sense.

Our first TM was a 3124KB, which we started towing without a sway control weight distribution hitch. In spite of careful loading, we did on a few occasions experience sway. But a few hair raising, heart pounding sway occasions was all we needed for us to want to avoid trailer sway/a potential accident, at any cost. So we switched to an Equal-i-zer WDH which incorporated sway control into its design and function. We got ours with the 1,000 lb. bars.

While TM's are considered to be relatively sway free, we would never again tow ours without a sway control WDH. When towing there are too many situations that can suddenly come up which can induce sway. The truth is that any trailer can unexpectedly go into a dangerous sway, given the numerous unforseen situations out there, and especially when towing the longer units, and certainly with extra weight/bicycles on the rear.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Enjoy your new 3124KB, and many happy and safe miles on the road.