View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #17
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

First I need to take back my statement that your TM dealer won't let you leave their lot without being properly set up. Obviously that is not the case if the salesman thinks you can't use a WDH with the swing tongue. We don't have a swing tongue but many people here do and as far as I know they are all using WDH's.

Re your Acura dealer: I've suspected for some time that the explanation you got from your dealer was Acura/Honda's real problem with regard to WDH use and they just weren't admitting it. They probably fear someone will attempt to pull a trailer with a huge tongue load or use a WDH far stronger than necessary for their trailers tongue weight. WDH's are made that will handle up to 1400lbs of tongue load and if someone used one of those with a light trailer like the TM they probably could damage the suspension of a car/minivan based SUV. It would be like suspending the rear wheels off the ground and putting all of the TV/TM weight on the TV's front wheels and the TM wheels. I'm not an engineer but it seems logical to me that the Acura's frame should handle the 100-200lbs of twisting force a properly chosen and set up WDH will put on it better than the 400-600lbs of downward force of the trailer without a WDH. Also, dumping all the weight on the rear bumper and behind the rear wheels is going to lighten the front end so how could it hurt to put some of that weight back. Maybe one of our engineers will address that issue. I installed the Honda tow package on our Odyssey and I noticed considerable reinforcing underneath the rear end and there were pre-drilled and threaded holes where the hitch receiver is bolted on. I can't imagine the MDX would be any different.

IMO the solution is to get the proper WDH -- and kick that TM salesman in the pants when you see him.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote