View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #12
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default The dealer will be installing a hitch receiver, not a hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiojon
I'm having the Acura dealership install a regular, factory-made towing package next Wednesday; I figured that was the best way to go, given that I'm leasing the MDX and want to make sure I'm staying within full compliance of any warranties, etc. (If I DO end up having problems with the vehicle after using the trailer, I can claim that I'm within the Owner's Manual's recommendations.) The Owner's Manual only references guidelines with the factory-installed tow package.

Is it not going to be a WDH that the dealer installs? My neighbor and I figured they'd be installing whatever's best for the specific vehicle, no?

Am I better off to go with an after-market WDH, and have another place install it?

I feel like a goof, but I really haven't considered any of this until now. Suggestions, please!

Thanks again,

- Mark
There is a vast mis-understanding floating around that that thing at the rear of the vehicle that gets installed as part of factory tow packages is a "hitch". Back in the day when a hitch included a ball mount, that was true. But it's not anymore! That part that will be installed on your vehicle is a hitch receiver...the part that the actual hitch (drop down, weight distributing, whatever) will slide into and be attached to by a hitch pin. After the dealer installs the hitch receiver, you can (and probably must) go to another store (usually a hitch shop) to buy the WDH since I rather doubt that Acura/Honda make weight distributing hitches.

Yes, the hitch receiver that will be installed is likely optimized for your vehicle. It's completely up to you to find the best hitch to insert into that dealer installed receiver.

Clearer now?

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote