View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Radiojon

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new TM if the deal works out. I'm curious however: What does Acura say about using a weight distributing hitch with the MDX? I've read here and elsewhere that Honda doesn't recommend them with the Ridgeline or Pilot and the Ridgeline Owners-Manual offered a pretty ridiculous explanation for the restriction. They didn't have such a restriction with our 02 Odyssey (which likely has less structural integrity than either the P or R) and I've never read or heard of a WDH/frame failure on any of them. I have to assume their anti-liability attorneys are getting the upper hand in writing their owners manuals --- even to the point of compromising their customers safety. Personally, I dont know how they can sleep at night after advertising that the Ridge can tow 5,000lbs (which with a properly loaded travel trailer means at least 500lbs of tongue load) and then tell people not to use a WDH.

Your 2720SL will place a fairly significant tongue load (400-600lbs) 3+ft behind the rear wheels on your "independent-rear-suspension" MDX and IMHO you'll benefit greatly from using a WDH. Many Pilot and Ridge owners are apparently using them anyway because of their obvious safety and handling benefits. They can provide those benefits even if your MDX has self-leveling in the rear.

That's just my $0.02 however.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote