View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 08:28 AM   #9
PopBeavers

Default Apparent recent McKesh design change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Hmmm. I have not experienced this, so I went out to the garage and looked at my set of McKesh mirrors. On the bottom of the mirror head, I see two Phillips-head screws and one 1/2" hex head bolt. These must be the three tensioning screws you refer to.
Bill
Bill,

They must have made a design change. My mirrors are only a month old. I keep the 1/2 " bolt tight, although it too loosens with vibration, even with a lock washer. In addition to the 1/2" bolt there are three Phillips head screws where the mirror pivots.

These screws do a poor job of applying tension. I am finding that they either "lock" the mirror in place or "unlock" it so that it swivels so easily that the wind will turn it. When I loosen these screws I turn each one around 3-5 degrees.

I can probably solve the problem with the 1/2" bolt coming loose by adding some locktite. I don't have any brilliant ideas about how to change the granularity of the adjusting screws.

I haven't pulled the screws out, but a wild guess is that older mirrors use fine threads and newer mirrors use coarse threads. This would explain why such a small turn (3 degrees) causes a substantial reduction in friction.

Short term I will replace the broken mirror. Maybe the factory will cover that. Long term I am still looking for "good" mirrors, as the McKesh are barely adequate.

Good points about the McKesh:

1. Easy on and off of TV.
2. Stick out far enough to see behind TM.
3. Don't block use of existing factory mirrors.
4. Spot mirror on driver side is useful.

Bad points about the McKesh:
1. Difficult to adjust with change of driver.
2. Vibrate more than the stock factory mirrors.
3. Don't fold back, must be removed.
4. If removed, must be readjusted when reattached.
5. Spot mirror on passenger side is useless as it hits the mirror arm before it is adjusted inward far enough to be useful. It won't see a sports car in my blind spot, but will see a sports car two lanes over.