View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
The most annoying thing about the McKesh mirrors is the amount of time it takes to re-adjust the mirrors every time you change drivers.

There are three tensioning screws at the bottom of each mirror. If they are too tight (factory setting) you will break the glass attempting to adjust them. If they are too loose then the wind and vibration move them around, requiring periodic adjustments.
Hmmm. I have not experienced this, so I went out to the garage and looked at my set of McKesh mirrors. On the bottom of the mirror head, I see two Phillips-head screws and one 1/2" hex head bolt. These must be the three tensioning screws you refer to.

For me, the hex-head bolt sets the tension for the horizontal rotation of the mirror head. That is, I can adjust the line-of-sight in and out (toward and away from the tow vehicle) at this junction. For my wife and myself (roughly the same size people), this is all we have ever needed.

I have never had to tweak the Phillips-head screws. They seem to set the tension on the mirror head's ball-mount, right? I do occasionally adjust the viewing-angle up or down by moving the mirror head forward or back, but doing so has never been a problem with the factory tension. If there were a problem, I guess I would loosen the two Phillips screws, put a drop of oil or white grease on the ball mount, work the ball-mount around to work the lube onto all the mating surfaces, and tighten it up again. If the ball-mount surface (aluminum?) is a bit corroded, it will turn roughly, or seize-and-release, which is certainly not good. Lubing it and working it will rub off some of the scale, and prevent new scale from forming.

As I looked at my mirrors, and thought about it, it suddenly occurred to me that ALL of the adjustment was probably intended to happen at the ball mount. The fact that mine adjusts at the hex bolt, in just the way I need, is just luck, I guess. But I don't think you should be having the problems you are experiencing.

Good luck with it, and please report back when you solve it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote