View Single Post
Old 04-23-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
skoegler

Default Lowrider - reformed

I have an '87 3023 (but I don't think it was called that back then). On our first trip last year we lost a tire and the tow operator had to detach the leaf spring in order to get the tire clear of the closed shells. I count that as a break, having someone willing to help to that extent.

In order to raise the closed trailer so it rides above the tire, and so I can remove the tire when the trailer is closed, I inverted the axle. The axle on this (don't know if this is common to all) was mounted on top of the leaf springs and the bearings were off-center by about 4 inches above that. I mounted the axle UNDER the leafs using the same mounting hardware and gained about 9 inches in height. The tires are now fully accessible while the unit is closed... just like most campers.

I don't have any particular concerns about the mechanics of this since not much has really changed. My only concern is that now that my TM rides so high, am I going to have any issues with cross-winds and drifting? Toung height is about 21 inches (the original models hugged the ground).

Any comments?

Thanks
Scott