View Single Post
Old 04-20-2005, 08:39 AM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Ray hypothesized:

Separation of the tire at its widest from the wheelwell might be a different story though. One potentially quick way to find out is to simply call TM and ask if they use the same wheelwell for single axle 15 inch tire models (like the 3023) as they use for the single axle 14 inch models (2619/2720). A not so quick way would be to load the trailer, lift one side of the trailer enough to cause the other side to incur increased suspension squat, then do some measuring and estimating (it's not a good idea to jack up the axle itself).

I had tire-wheel well clearance problems with my 2002 2720SL when it was new. Following my first 2400 mile round trip (included heavy rains and potholes hiding in muddy puddles in TN), I was dismayed to note that the curb side tire was grinding the aft portion of the rounded, plastic wheel well insert. Apparantly(sic?) the excessive vertical motion of the wheel caused the tire to contact the insert. Had I had 15 inch tires there may have been more serious consequences.

I did some careful measuring and consulted the factory. Seems the axle was mounted about 1/2" aft of its correct position. They immediately sent me the lift kit free of charge (of course).

Speculation here: It follows that the fore-aft clearance for nearly max suspension travel may be less than 1/2" on either side of the wheel well. The lift took care of the problem ..... but did not solve it. The axle was still slightly mislocated, but couldn't deflect enough to contact the edge of the well.

Denny_A