View Single Post
Old 02-27-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I echo the thoughts of others, Denny. Relaying the story may not help you (or especially your wife) much, but it will do a lot of good for the rest of us.

I remember the time in 1969 when my parents (avid Airstreamers) and my 13-year-old sister were headed east across Ontario, my mother driving the Suburban with the Airstream behind. Somehow the same thing happened to her that you described, with everything suddenly upside down in the ditch. This was in the days before seatbelts were common, and they didn't have 'em. Fortunately the first impact somehow stuffed my little sister onto the floor, wedged between the front and rear seats. She was fine. Their little dog, built like a fluffy slipper, bounced around but was fine. My Dad got a couple cuts and bruises. My Mom got a back fracture (fortunately no nerve damage) that never quite healed right. She was in some pain for the rest of her life. Although they got a new Suburban and Airstream and camped for 25 more years, she never again drove the rig. It scared her that badly.

Whenever my wife and I are out in the TM, I try every day, at least once, to remember that day when my Dad called from Ontario to tell me about it. Constant vigilance, constant awareness, isn't a cure-all, but it sure helps.

My very best to your wife - it is an emotional trauma.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote