Thread: Range
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default I've got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyb74
Has anyone used the "Universal Silent Top Stove Silecer"? (see Camping World URL below). It measures 19 5/8" W x 17 1/2" D.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...5&skunum=21014
I have very mixed feelings about this product. It does contain a good quality and attractive butcher block type board, a plastic cutting sheet (so you don't cut the board's finish), and a template/predrilled holes that allow the provided mounting feet to truly fit just about any RV range. I used the holes labeled as being for a 3 burner Suburban range and found the feet were indeed properly aligned for the grates on my TM's range.

As for utility, it's not too bad. As the curb (door) side countertop on any TM isn't very large, this product does give you a lot more usable counter space if you're primarily cooking with a microwave or some kind of electric appliance (skillet, slow cooker, etc.). And it's easily removed if you want to use the range's gas burners.

The big problem is that although there is enough (barely) clearance between the board and rear shell ceiling to leave the board on the stove while closing up the trailer for travel, it's "silencer" aspect fails miserably. More often than not on bumpy roads it would simply bounce off the grating and be like a "loose cannon" on the trailer's interior. And even when it did remain on the grating, the combination of its jiggling and jouncing caused the little rubber grommets that cushion the grating's attachment legs to self destruct...and then I had a loose grating to contend with as well. And a loose grating meant lots of rattles from just walking around inside the trailer. So after just two trips with the cover on the stove...and a trip to Ace Hardware to find some replacement grommets...I learned to securely store the board on the floor while traveling.

Bottom line is it's a nice (though possibly overpriced) stove cover but don't leave it on the range while travelling.

Hope this helps.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote