View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 08:57 AM   #26
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

10-4 on no sway control. You shouldn't need one. I would pay anybody (other than maybe Jeff Gordon) who can make mine sway. I had a scary moment on a rainy day in Cheyenne, WY this summer when I was forced to make the most severe evasive maneuver I can ever remember. TM swerved with me, but no more.

If it doesn't sway when it's empty (take your empty trailer out on a deserted stretch of road and try to make it sway. I did and it didn't. Be sure the insurance is effect first.)

If it exhibits sway tendencies when it's full and doesn't when it's empty, you will know that loading is the problem. If it sways when it's empty, check the mechanical condition of the unit.

If your unit sways, and your TV is capable of towing it (consult your TV manual as well as numerous posts on this subject) something else is causing the problem. If the TM is structually sound (tires, wheels, springs, attachments, etc.) it's even more probable that the problem is loading.

An easy way to check (or build) your loading plan is with a bathroom scale and a simple diagram. First, weigh the stuff you know you will take. If possible, and depending on your AQ (anal quotient) write the weight on the object (unobtrusively) with a sharpie so you will know how to rearrange when you get something else that you just can't live without.

You know the axle runs between the wheels, and the wheel wells are under the cabinet. The weight of anything you store behind the cabinets reduces tongue weight and therefore decreases stability. Anything you load forward of the cabinets has the reverse effect. The further forward or back you put it, the more impact it creates on the center of gravity and tongue weight. Once you know what you take and where you put it, you will have a better idea of the impact it will have on stability. And if you move something around, you can SWAG the impact.

Be aware that the fresh water tank is (in my case) ahead of the axles and the grey water tank is aft. So if you leave with a full fresh water tank and return with a full grey water tank, you will have effectively moved the CG aft and thereby reduced the tongue weight. Water weighs 8# per gallon, so 20 gallons of water (160#) could be your single largest weight consideration.

Write down the weights of the stuff you take and keep the list in the TM. Keep another copy in the TV, so if sway starts you can review the list for the most likely culprit. "Oh, darn it, Jane, I inadvertently put my blacksmithing anvil in the back storage compartment rather than on the sofa where I usually store it."

2003 3124KS drug by 2001 1500 2WD Suburban
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote