View Single Post
Old 01-16-2024, 05:32 PM   #32
Rob Culver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
I'm going to throw out a guess here.

With the advent of the back-up camera, that bolt may be to prevent the coupler from accidently closing while backing the tow vehicle.

As far as the coupler being loose on the ball, I have a few thoughts.

Are you using a 2" Ball? A 1 7/8" ball is too small.

Is the coupler (maybe) a 2 5/16" coupler? 2 5/16" couplers are common on most travel trailers. If that coupler was only used "on a small number that came to them from their supplier", I would be suspicious that it could be a 2 5/16" coupler. If that's the case, just buy a 2 5/16" ball (if you are using an Anderson WDH, that gets complicated and I may be able to help).

On the underside of the coupler, there is a "Tongue" that grabs the underside of the ball. On most couplers, that tongue has an adjustment nut. That nut can be tightened (slightly) so that the "Tongue" will grasp the bottom of the ball with a very small amount of play. If you tighten it too much, the coupler may not close all the way or close so tight that it will wear on the ball. It should just barely touch the bottom of the ball with the coupler closed.
Hi Wavery,

This has become a long and tedious thread to go through but yeah. Those questions about ball and coupler size were gone through already. All is correct as far as that goes. It's a 2 inch ball going in to a 2 inch coupler.
The bolt and nut, depending on how far back or forward they are, do make a very slight difference in how much the coupler can rotate. I played with it though and the difference was so small that it made me doubt that that was even the purpose. Could also be a secondary fail safe as the latch does get stopped by the bolt in some scenarios..
Should probably have occurred to me or someone else that a ring on the top side as shown in the earlier picture would work perfectly to guarantee a closed latch. I think if the ring would have broken off it's weld then it would have been easier to guess but since nothing looked broken it was harder to guess that it just came bad and without that ring right from the factory. (or the supplier as TM explained)
Rob Culver is offline   Reply With Quote