View Single Post
Old 01-05-2024, 05:50 PM   #3
Rob Culver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Rob -

I don't understand what I am seeing. The first pic looks like the hitch has been hit and badly dented somehow. Am I misunderstanding the picture? And what is the upright bolt standing behind the hitch lifter? You've showed us the left side of the hitch - does it look the same from the other side?

In the first pic, there is a hole in the lower right corner of the hitch latch (the silver part of the latch). When the latch is closed on the hitch ball, can you slip a metal rod (like a knitting needle) cleanly into the hole, all the way through, and out the other side?

Maybe this is a hitch from a different manufacturer. My hitch looks like the attached pic - excuse the grubbiness.

Bill
Hi Bill, I took a couple of more pictures of better quality showing both sides. There's no obvious damage on my hitch. I'm thinking it must just be a different version than yours. But I suppose it might have been a replacement and not from the factory? I'm not sure if it's by design but the upright bolt can be used after lifting the hitch tab near the bolt upward and pulling back and then putting a pin in behind the bolt through the hole you mentioned to keep the hitch in the open position. To answer your question. Yes, I can slip a pin in through the hole when it's in the closed position all the way through to the hole on the other side. But that has no purpose in the closed position as shown in the pictures. Only in the open position does it then serve to keep the latch open to make it easier to detach your tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240105_162818.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	22929   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240105_162829.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	22930  
Rob Culver is online now   Reply With Quote