View Single Post
Old 10-14-2023, 03:11 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSTL View Post
... rod came out with help of PB blaster ...
Be careful of using petroleum (oil) solvents and lubricants. If you get any inside the tank, the water will taste terrible, and the remaining oil will be really hard to get out.

Quote:
Can I buy a replacement for the washer like ring that should help secure the replacement rod? ... Can’t find it online anywhere but it wasn’t previously installed.
If it wasn't previously installed, where did you find it?

Quote:
(The washer picture)
I could be wrong, but the picture of the empty hole shows a bunch of white stuff that doesn't quite look like crumbly crystalline corrosion products. I would have expected the threads in the opening to be cleaner once you got the rod unscrewed. Is it a slather of the silicone sealant stuff that was in your post on the under-sink plumbing leak? If so, it seems the PO was a fan of using silicone sealer where is doesn't belong. As Shane said, teflon tape - 2 or 3 layers - is the only stuff you should use after you have removed all the sealant and cleaned up the threads down to bare metal. I believe that the instructions that came with the new rod say this.

Let us know what you find.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote